Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Graphic Fiction and Non-fiction

I wasn’t really excited by any other readings when I went into this topic; at first I had a tough time deciding on which piece of work to read. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to purchase “Fun Home”. This was actually a pretty depressing read. The only other form of graphic memoir that I had read before this one was Persepolis. While Persepolis had a couple of shocking moments, I felt that the ones presented in Fun Home were much stronger in impact. Everything, from the artwork to the narrative voice felt cold as I read it.

However, reading only through a couple of chapters I can understand why it is presented this way as it has complete relevance over the reading itself. One of the main themes that this graphic memoir deals with is sexual orientation. The main character explains she deals with the realization that she has homosexual tendencies and how her mother reacts once she finds out. While I have respect for the work, I just found it very difficult to relate to this in so many ways. All in all, it was a difficult read.

No comments:

Post a Comment