Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Webcomics

I’ve never been a big fan of webcomics. Mostly because I’ve never viewed them as a source of serious story-telling. It’s not that I ever thought it wouldn’t be possible to achieve good story-telling in this media, but just that I completely neglected the idea. It never occurred to me. I was introduced to webcomics as gamer. The first one I remember reading was called VG Cats, updated weekly, if I recall correctly, as a one page strip showing a small gag, a parody of a current video game. Shortly after that I started reading CTRL ALT DELETE which also had many video game references, though it later developed an underlying storyline. Octopus Pie is my first experience reading an ongoing story through a webcomic… It’s been very addicting.

In a single day, I sat myself down and read from the very first strip to the most current one. That totals to 497 strips. I kept telling myself “just one more”. Well, that led on to another and another and so forth. It’s not very surprising that this happened though, as the story kept me interested in every single page. I think what makes this comic so great is how realistic these characters are and how they develop. The art style reminded me a lot of Scott Pilgrim, which I loved. However, unlike Scott Pilgrim, the themes in this story are very real. One of the most recent story arcs implements the Occupy Wallstreet movement and how the cast reacts and how it reflects upon their relationships. I have to say I wasn’t very thrilled for the topic of webcomics, but this selection has made me look at a lot of webcomics in a very different light.

No comments:

Post a Comment